Communication: The Skill of Conversation
A good conversation is like a game of catch. One person tosses a ball, the other person catches the ball and tosses it back. Back and forth. Face to face conversation is what makes us human. Technology is a part of everyday life but replacing face to face conversation with phone or text conversations has deprived us from developing this very important skill.
Good communication is vital to maintaining a healthy relationship. When starting a new relationship is important to be able to talk about what you both want and for the other person to understand. Here are some tips:
- Learn to create a real connection
- Be present. Be in the moment
- Remember that you always have something to learn from the other person
- Use open-ended questions such as “What is your favourite memory from childhood?”
- It’s okay to say “I don’t know”.
- Don’t equate your experience with theirs. All experiences are unique
- Keep the conversation flowing. Try not to repeat yourself.
Talk about the things you are passionate about! This is the best piece of advice when it comes to communicating with your date. Often the nerves kick in when you don’t feel confident enough in what you are talking about, therefore make sure you talk about what you are passionate about. Something to think about: if you had to get up and speak to a group of people about the things you enjoy the most, what would they be?